My Scratch Pad

To jot down some memorable events in my journey

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Bindaas Brother

Bindaas: Kewl (The latest way of spelling "cool"!!!)

No prizes for guessing that this blog is about my brother, Sharath. I wanted to name this blog "My brother Sharath" in line with the movie title "My brother Nikhil". However, that dint seem original.

Let me give you a quick formal introduction of my brother. He is 6 years younger to me, studying (hopefully) to be a potential engineer, 6ft 1inch tall and an eligible bachelor (given that the marriageable age of guys in India will be reduced to 18 years now).

Now, comes the informal part.

In our family, there is a tradition of not calling even younger siblings by name (so what if you call them Donkey, Monkey, Piggy, Idiot, Duffer, $*#@ and with much more derogatory titles). My father is addressed by his elder brother as Thambi (for younger brother in Tamil - Language native to the South Indian state). Thankfully my father is the only brother; else he might have been called Thambi-3 !!. So, I had to call Sharath, Thambi. Due to our technological advance, Thambi evolved as follows:
Thambi -> Tubby -> Tuby -> Turbie -> Barbie (Yeah! that's his latest name…Hez going to kill me if he seez this blog).

He too calls me with various names like Dummi (fatso in Tamil), Aaane (elephant in Tamil), Aandalamma(due to my hairdo) etc. My personal favorite has been Teapot (remember the nursery rhyme "I am a little teapot, short and stout.."). I won't deal with history of each of these names coz that would lead to writing an epic and not a blog.

He is a lovable boy-next-door. He is ever cheerful. "Tension kaiku lene ka" (loosely translates to "Take it easy") attitude. Lots of things to do on his ever-growing list of activities. Academics seemed to have been erased with permanent whitener from this list!! Hey, that does not mean that he is an ever-flunking repeater in his club, so what if he is not a nine-pointer. He has immense respect in his huuugggggggggge friends circle (I call him "King in Fool's Paradise"). He has a strange way of addressing God. He calls them with nicknames like pals. For example: Ganu and Hanu (Lord Ganesha and Lord Hanuman).

He loves Tayir Saadam (for curd rice in Tamil) and all those junk food available near his college. Wonder how he maintains his ultra-slim waist line. He loves T-Shirts (no need to press them before wearing). He loves Rajnikanth and Jackie Chan. He loves NFS and all those illusionary car games which he plays sitting on the edge of the chair.

He hates getting up early (early means 8am). He hates taking bath at the time my mom suggests. He hates to keep things clean around. He hates going to college and usually successful skipping college by terming it "mass bunk" or "cultural fest" or "attendance sheet already sent" or some junk like that…

Like any other "normal" siblings, we have had all kinds of fights (in fact, they are minion versions of a war). Fights with cushions, desi versions of kung-fu, verbal fights… My strongest weapons have been my nails and his test scores. We used to fight a lot for the TV watching slots. I wanted to watch some sobbie serials where the "Aunties" waste the edges of their 6 meter long exotic sarees to wipe diluted Sodium Chloride emerging from their eyes. He wanted to watch Amazing Race on AXN, Junkyard Wars on Discovery Channel, American Choppers on Discovery Travel and Living, Travelers on Discovery Channel, Timon and Pumba on Cartoon Network etc etc. This was one fight I WON on losing. I "compromised" to keep peace at home and started watching what he likes to watch. These programs are really cool…er…kewl.

We have talked about technology, Rahul Dravid, F1 (that's right.. F is for formula and not fashion), bikes, gadgets, college life, politicians, movies, science fiction, girls in his college and so on. I don't think there is any topic we know of and we have not discussed.

Ok…let's cut the crap...Too much of good things about him. He may start flying given that he is so light and try to gain some false identity of an angel :D. My brother is one of my best pals and the coolest dude I have known. He has helped me evolve as a person. As my friends Joy and Latha say, it is really necessary to tell people how much you love them. So, here it is …


I LOVE YOU BARBIE!!!


Secret of the moment: I have changed his diapers when he was an infant :D

Next to come: Solitude

7 Comments:

At 6:15 AM, Blogger Deeps said...

That last line was a blast :-D. Your brother is gonnu kill you when he sees that one. So good bye Vandu, we'll meet in heaven/hell if there is one >:).

BTW Teapot sounds nice, I guess I'll adopt that name for you too :-D. Hmm getting up at 8am is a miracle, Darsh's minimum is 11am during hols ;-).

Its Darsh's birthday on 31st and I was planning a post something like this, now I guess I'll get a bit influenced by this post ;-)..

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Soumya said...

hey,

that's such a cute post...the last line is too good...although i can't relate to this younger brother sentiment(the only one in our group who has no younger brother...struck me after a looooooong time), i sure agree its important to tell people how much u love them...i don't do it too often, specially when it comes to family...a habit which i need to get rid of...

lucky u both are to have each other...

p.s: looks like Deeps came first this time...u competing with me, eh Deeps??!!
hey..nice to see ur mail after so long...i'll reply once i get back to town...

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Vanditha said...

Deeps,

I am already in hell :D given that I am with my bro... :D Sure, you can call me teapot...but a slimmer Teapot :D

Getting influenced by this post for Darshan's birthday post is a violation of copyrights act :D

Soumya,

Brother or Sister, younger or elder, the sentiments are almost similar. So, here is the time. Go tell them you love them....:D

Waiting for your reply :D

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Deeps said...

You should have put the copyright right at the beginning of the post :-p.

Yeah living with him must be hell, but I miss hell re. A lot :(.

 
At 2:02 AM, Blogger Vanditha said...

Hey Deeps,

I know hell is unbearable..but separation from hell is much more unbearable..

Hey Joy,

Cool...you too are on the blog world now...

Yeah.. loving unconditionaly is very important and very difficult too. I know you are a personification for this man.. :D

 
At 2:24 AM, Blogger Canary said...

hey, dropped in at ur blog from that of deeps.. really nice one.. liked 3 posts in particular..
here's wishing you a lovely new year.. :)

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Vanditha said...

Hi Canary,

Thanks for your wishes. Wish you a great year ahead

Hey!! I posted only 3 posts on the blog. So, you dint miss anything :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home