My Scratch Pad

To jot down some memorable events in my journey

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Solitude



This photo was taken in Talakadu. It was taken during one of the most memorable project parties (er…trek) in September 2005. This is one of my favorite photographs and well acclaimed by ace photographers (yap yap :D ).

Named this photo “Solitude” as it has a serene frame and epitomizes the bliss of solitude. There is one single petit man-made structure in a vast natural canvas symbolizing how small human beings are.

Yeah! I know the colors seem a little dull as this was captured after sunset. I could have very well used a photo editor to enhance the colors. However, I wanted to leave it un-tampered. I wanted to leave it VIRGIN. Exactly, the way I want to leave the great natural gifts of the Almighty after I hike. I have seen many “nature lovers”, as they call themselves, dirtying the entire hike tracks with plastic, food remains, human remains etc etc.

I saw an adventure competition on Discovery Channel few months back. Teams competing in this event were given instructions about how the weight and the kind of things they carried should match with the things they brought back. The more it matches the better points. Things carried by each team was listed down. This was to ensure that nothing was thrown on the way not even used toilet tissues!!! (I know some of you would have said “Yuck”...in Jim Carrey Style :D) I believe this does not apply merely to a competition. We should at least be aware what are biodegradable and non-biodegradable matter. Be conscious about our natural surroundings and ensure its cleanliness in whatever small way possible.

Friends, pass this message on to as many people you know. If you do not pass this message on 10 people in next 10 minutes, you will NOT die of a freak accident, you will NOT have huge business losses and you will NOT be showered with bad luck. NO, nothing will happen NOW. But, some years down the lane, ….. :(

Passing thought: We have not INHERITED Mother Earth from our ancestors, but BORROWED it from our children.

Poem of the moment: Daffodils by William WordsWorth

Next to Come: Friends

7 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Blogger Deeps said...

Solitude - when I first read of your post to come, I thought it will be a sad post about loneliness etc. But turned out t be a pleasant surprise for me :).

Trashing any place is bad period. But I've seen most of the trek groups in India having a don't-throw-any-trash-in-the-trek policy as far as I've seen. Here in US, its more strict. They have hike trails, so if you are caught trashing anywhere, its a sure fine :). Even on freeways, the fine goes upto about $500!!

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Soumya said...

Exactly, the first thought that came to my mind when I saw "Solitude" was "sorrow"...I don't know why the mind always associates sadness to solitude...
I loved the picture...Its so serene and pure...Too good Vandu...Just like u said, it is more beautiful because it was left natural and wasn't tampered with...
As for trashing trek trails, couldn't agree with u more...Trashing any place for that matter is unacceptable...If at all I have the power(God forbid), the first thing I'd do is install properly maintained dustbins in every galli in India...
Passing thought is so true & meaningful...
Great post yaar...I'm eagerly awaiting the next one...

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Vanditha said...

Hey Deeps and Soum,

Unfortunately, "Solitude" is associated with "Sorrow". We never understand the great powers and bliss of Solitude(I guess, the poem Daffodils talks about it). Solitude gives the luxury to look within and get the best out of us. (gyan :D)

Yeah, I know that there are some good trekking groups with some good trekking policies. But, I have seen a groups which litter all along the way, may be to find their way back :D :(

I attended a photography lecture sometime back. The person making the presentation talked about how people disturb the nests and natural vicinty of the birds to capture **good** photographs. Sad but true :(

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Harish Suryanarayana said...

That is a great snap . But i think that the boat level thingy(i forget what it is actually called ) , rather than representing how small a human being is , symbolises the ingenuity of man , the will to surmount obstacles , to explore and to find a way.... I am gonna copy tht snap ... hope you have not copyrighted it already :P .

PS : thanks for visiting my blog

 
At 1:18 AM, Blogger Vanditha said...

Hey Harish,

Thanks to you too for stopping by my blog...:D

The round boat is called a coracle. Its all left to one's interpretation of the snap. Your interpretation is also quite right :D. You may definitely take the snap. Just dont claim that it is taken by you;D

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger Deepak Ram said...

Vanditha, excellent photograph, as i had said earlier thro' gouth. And great blog in general! your blog has been the prime inspiration for me to start mine!
cheers,
deepak ram

 
At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHY DO YOU HATE PEOPLE BECAUSE OF THE PROFESSION THEY ARE IN???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home