My Scratch Pad

To jot down some memorable events in my journey

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Me In ChinkyLand - Crossing the Seas

I am back to continue with the series of posts on my travel to Hong Kong and China. I was traveling for the first time overseas on the night of 14th February 2005. I traveled from Bangalore to Bangkok and then to Hong Kong.

That day started off quite bad at office. There was some confusion about my visa and the other financial details. As many people do not travel to China and that too a remote part of China like Huizhou, the finance and the HR department were not in sync!! That was the last thing I expected from my extremely process oriented company!! Any case, due to the intervention of my project manager and some senior executives of the company, things sailed of smoothly at the end. I came back home around 4pm to ensure that I could leave home at 7pm for the 10pm flight.

I repeated the story-of-the-day to my folks as soon as I returned home. Then, the last minute packing of some official documents went on. Some instructions from both dad and mom were pumped into my virtually deaf ears. I was just thinking about how my first flight would be and story-of the-day was on a repeat telecast mode. The taxi which I had booked arrived at 6:45pm and the entire family (I, my parents and my bro) got into it along with my luggage. I think here I should introduce my luggage, prime partner of my entire journey. I had the following things:

1) One suitcase with wheels (I am not aware if there is a shorter name for such luggage ;D)
2) One bag which was my cabin baggage. This was almost like a college bag but with wheels.
3) My handbag (I read in one of Chetan Bhagat’s books that girls’ handbags are no lesser than survival kits to Antarctica :D)
4) My laptop

Except for suitcase, I had to keep the rest of them with me due to check-in luggage weight restriction. So, imagine how I would look with a bag on my back, a handbag on the right shoulder and the laptop bag slinging from the left. Huh?

We reached the airport at around 7:30pm without much discussion during the taxi travel. When I saw the airport, I understood why there was such a hue and cry for an international airport in Bangalore. All my imaginations about an airport based on movies, novels and other rosy media was shattered by the deserted look, dirty corners and old-fashioned walkways of the airport :(

After a silent wait for about an hour, the announcement for check-in for the passengers of Thai Airways flight was made. I had total theoretical information about how a check-in happens. But practical is not the same as theory!! I first let my luggage one-by-one through the scanner and then entered the security door to collect it at the other end of the scanner. Here, I had to bid good-bye to my parents and brother.

After checking in my suitcase, I put tags to the cabin baggage. I was given a form to fill before the visa and security check. There I met some more first time travelers, a young lady going to US for higher studies and an old couple going to US to meet their son. With some knowledge transfer between us, we filled in the form. At the check-in counter, they asked the reason for my travel and my company ID card. I fished that out from my survival kit, a.k.a handbag. Then the cabin baggage went through another round of checks and they were all stamped with “Bangalore Airport – Out” seals. Later, I got to know that the no other airport metes out such torturous treatment to the cabin baggage.

In the waiting room, the boarding instructions were announced. The senior citizens first, then the ladies and children and last the men (Wonder why this order!!). I was greeted with a “Swadiha”(Greetings in Thai) by the lovely airhostesses. Aping others I too picked up a newspaper to accompany me during the flight. After some safety instructions in 6 languages (Uff!), the plane started moving. I was very excited to see the lights outside. I was so thrilled to see the number of lights growing as the plane took off. Bangalore lights slowly dimmed away.

The journey was very short, just about two hours. Not much eventful, except for frequent serving of food, beverages and other accessories. In these two hours, we were first served a headphone, a blanket and two pillows (I hardly had space for the huge sized pillows). This was followed by a serving of welcome drink, then a snack, then dinner, then another round of drinks, some Thai special snack which was made of algae(I dint know whether it was vegetarian, isn’t algae a plant. I dint risk it with the limited knowledge of botany I had :D). At the end of the two hours, we were served with a refreshing orchid stem. (I have this preserved. I am crazy in preserving such things. My mom gets fed up of cleaning my collection of such memories). There I was in Bangkok, 10 minutes ahead of schedule, first time breathing the air outside India.

The three hour wait for the connecting flight at Bangkok was very enlightening. In the sense, I saw how exactly an international airport looks like. There was a counter where you could get an on-arrival visa for 14 days. I dint know something like that existed (dumb me). There were many counters were people queued up to catch their connecting flights. There were a lot of shops around, which I visited putting my entire “cabin” luggage on to a small trolley. Chocolate stores, orchid flower shops, foreign exchange counters, information kiosks and so on. I checked-in for the Hong Kong Thai Airways flight an hour before schedule. The check-in was much simple. No enquiry, no cabin check, nothing. What if I was a terrorist!! I have read that the most criminal minded people look very sophisticated too, something like software professionals ;D

The flight to Hong Kong was also around two hours and more or less like the Bangalore to Bangkok travel (as I traveled by Thai Airways again). By now I was a little more restless because I was traveling eastwards and I had not slept. The journey started with same 6 language safety instruction. Again, the journey as such was eventless except for the drinks-snacks-breakfast-snacks-drinks cycle. This was the first time, I had breakfast within 4 hours I had my dinner.

The book “The Alchemist” entertained me till I reached Hong Kong. I could see the plane descending on an air strip surrounded by water. Hong Kong airport is on an archipelago. The sight was breath-taking. On entering the airport, I could sense how much better this airport was compared to Bangkok (human brain is into this vicious cycle of comparing :D). I believe that Hong Kong is rated as one of the best international airports in the world.

For the check-out counter, I had to travel by an express train. Then I had to take a couple of elevators and then a moving sidewalk. I had to never walk for any of these. I wonder how Chinese, on an average, are so slim. As I had expected, there was some trouble putting my luggage onto the train and then the elevator. But, an unknown angel is always around to help.

After checking out, I got a 14 day on-arrival visa for Hong Kong. That meant I could stay in Hong Kong now for the next 14 days (and then expect a expel letter from my company ;D). I rushed to the American Express counter to convert USD to Chinese currency, known as Remimbi, symbol is RMB.

I had complete instructions from my client manager, on how to travel from Hong Kong airport inside China border and then to Huizhou. Here, it goes: I had to take an EE bus which would take me to Hong Kong border after one hour traveling. There I had to get down and check-in to the China border. By then, the bus would have crossed the border. Then board the bus again, travel for another hour and there you are in Huizhou (how simple – just like 2 minute Maggi noodles. Really?).

I reached the EE bus counter. Paid 200 RMB for the transport service. The lady at the counter put dark green stickers on my luggage and then started walking to guide me to the bus. Chinese walk really fast. I had tough time catching up that too sans the luggage, this time . I entered the bus and saw it was decorated with a lot of golden and red tinkers used during Chinese New Year. Chinese New Year was celebrated just two days earlier. So, the festive mood was still on.

I made sure my luggage was put in the right place. I ensured the bus goes to Huizhou, by checking the Chinese Name of Huizhou written inside the bus against the Chinese Names I had (my client manager had sent this to me). Huizhou, in Mandarin, looks like this 惠州.

Later, set the time and time zone on my wrist watch based on the clock inside the bus. The driver was about to board. I wanted to confirm at this point that I was in the right bus. I usually do this even when I am traveling alone in unknown areas of Bangalore. I turned around and threw an open question to the co-passengers enquiring whether this bus passes through Huizhou. A no reply to my “English” question ensured that I am going to China.

Signing off!!



Post of the Moment: Around the world in 34 hours by Deepthi

Next to Come: Me In ChinkyLand – What’s in a name?

3 Comments:

At 3:13 AM, Blogger Vanditha said...

vani,
Great to have you commenting on my blog.

Nice to know that I could take you on a virtual tour :D I am planning to charge you for this ;D

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Deeps said...

I read this post the day you posted it and I have been wanting to comment for a while, but really didn't know what to say. The way the words express your confusion and humour are amazing :). Very well written :).

A no reply to my “English” question ensured that I am going to China.

LOL :-D.

And thanks for mentioning my post here. Now my travel seems so long long ago in the past...

Am really looking forward to the posts about your work in China and your Malaysian manager ;-). Also about your Hongkong stay :).

Also, won't say you took me on a virtual tour, 'cause I don't want any bills sent to me ;-).

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Vanditha said...

Deeps,
As mentioned in my earlier post, I had a sea of feelings- anxious, confused, excited etc etc... Inspite of this cocktail, I remember each moment of this travel vividly as it is pretty close to my heart. I can write a book on this given that somebody can publish it ;D (A classic example of day dreaming :D)

If your travel was long long ago, mine was long long long ago. Remember, I travelled before you ;D

Check your mail box, you might have already received the bills. ;D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home