My Scratch Pad

To jot down some memorable events in my journey

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Me In Chinkyland - Cross Cultural Sensitivity

In my organization, individuals traveling on assignments to client locations are advised to undergo a soft skills training of Cross Cultural Sensitivity. This is to ensure that we are adequately sensitized about the general etiquettes and mannerisms of people spread across a vast geographical canvas.

Some behavior I noticed among the few Chinese I met is as follows:
(Donno if this is applicable to the entire populace of China :D)

1) Extremely inquisitive. I was a foreigner in their land and they wanted to know about my land. Whenever I wore a salwar kameez, they were deeply interested to know about the fabric, the styles etc. The embroidery on my kameez and the bindi on my forehead used to be crowd pullers :D. They used to ask me the significance of the bindi. Based on my little “naalej” of Yoga, I cooked it up quite well and said that there is one prominent Chakra of the human body on the forehead where the bindi is placed :D Unfortunately, these were followed by more questions on Yoga where my little “naalej” dint help :D

2) Youngsters used to feel very fascinated to see a foreigner in a small town of China. They used to run around me to catch a second glimpse (Yep!). Some of them trying to practice the little English they knew. There was one instance where I met a young school girl at a local restaurant. She chatted with me for few minutes and then was emotional enough to kiss on my cheeks!!

3) They are always smiling. They greet you with a broad smile and bow. Extremely courteous and kind to strangers. How I miss this courtesy from people of current “Namma Bengaluru”. People are always in a hurry here with no time for any courtesy :-(

4) The official work hours are pretty long there, around 12 hours (In India unofficially most of us work around 12 hours :-() . After lunch, they used to have an hour break for sleeping!! They used to have small bed under their cubicles on which they used to couch. I remembered my days at the nursery school, where we used to have a sleeping period after the 10am snacks break!!! Good ol’ days :D

5) Very Chivalrous. They would always open the car door for me. Pull the chair at the dinner table. Carry my things wherever I went. But then, I used to feel suffocated and more importantly dependent. How would you feel if your client manager carried your laptop wherever you went!!!!

I can go on and on about the ‘n’ number of memorable instances I have had and ‘m’ number of people I have met. But then, a post on my blog is just not enough to put those wonderful memories in words.

Signing off!!



Question of the Moment: “Do you see elephants on the roads of India?” – In our cross cultural sensitivity program, we were told this is the question most of the Indians face very often in a foreign land. I dismissed thinking the facilitator of the session is just hyping it. But believe me I was really asked this question!!!

Next to Come: Fruits of Labor

12 Comments:

At 3:56 AM, Blogger Shyam said...

Basically, you were a Westerner there in China!!! Yeah.. obviously, India is to the West of China, right????

Rani treatment antha hELi???? Alice in Wonderland annO thara, Vanditha in Chinkyland antha ondh full kathe bareeri. :)

 
At 3:59 AM, Blogger Shyam said...

One more interesting thing.. Your chop sticks story related: Our office folks had been for a chinese Lunch and I requested for fork :( no chop sticks business ;). Have to learn sometime ;)

 
At 5:10 AM, Blogger Vanditha said...

Shyam,

Yeah..China visit was like a wonderland fantasy. Yep!! I too dont use chopsticks in India still ;-)

Anon,

Thanks for the additional info. Feng Shui was quite practised in the hotel I resided. Isnt Reiki a Japanese practice? Correct me if I am wrong here.

I was more interested in knowing about acupuncture. There was an acupuncture centre I discovered but the treatments turned out to be very expensive :-(

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Chaitanya Sagar said...

I think chopsticks are for those who dont know how to use a fork :)

Good to know you are in China. Any pictures? Is it possible to write a post comparing Indian infrastructure to theirs?

Cheers,
CS

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger Deepak Ram said...

haha! that was an amusing and well-written account! keep going!

 
At 4:05 AM, Blogger Vanditha said...

CS,

Comparing Infrastucture!!! Duh!! "IT"s not my cup of tea

Deepak,

Thanks for that!!

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Soumya said...

Didn't comment for a long time yaar...
Nice to know about ur observations...These accounts are extremely interesting & educative...Ure doing a noble job, u know...
I keep getting the bindi question many times here also...Surprised about the office hours though...Siesta and all uh!!
Looks like u got royal treatment...(imagining ur client manager carrying ur laptop and holding an umbrella over ur head..ha!ha!ha!)
"Elephants on the roads"...Isn't that the biggest misconception ever!!!
Waiting for more...

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger direkishore said...

You have a nice blog here! I would love to see a final post on chinkyland summarising ur experience - what struck u most, what was as expected and what was different :), though u have already covered lots. do u have more pics? I for one have been fantasizing a visit to china for a long time, hopefully it will be sometime soon.

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Deeps said...

Hey lady, I know you are busy with everything. So if and when you return to blogging, know that you have an extra post to write :-D. You have been tagged to write a post on eight unknown facts about yourself here :).

 
At 4:48 AM, Blogger Ed Vis said...

Namasthe Vanditha: Sometimes I wonder the questions people they ask about India is whether due to total ignorance or deliberate attempt to look down upon India?

What do you think?

Many many years ago, I remember once in NY during an Honeywell year end party some one telling the audience, "No, wonder Indira Gandhi is the prime minister....after she is the daughter of Mahatma Gandhi".....

To which I quipped: "I won't touch that statement with a ten foot pole..".....

http://www.amiahindu.com/

 
At 1:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:32 AM, Blogger Sonrisa said...

this is also an awesome piece!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home